Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Political Strife Rambling

I truly have trouble with Republicans. Well, staunch conservative republicans anyway. Mostly because of the growing # of evangelical republicans. Growing up in a heavy democratic household it's probably expected, but I actually didn't care about contemporary politics until I was well into high school, at which point I would have voted for George Bush if I could. He seemed much more relatable than the frosty monotone nature of Al Gore. Plus, I felt at the time that a good political leader should be a good person at all times. I didn't grasp the understanding of a president can be good in certain arenas or good in the house but bad in senate, etc. So when Clinton cheated on Hillary, I felt that he had disgraced our country to the whole world and that we would now be the brunt of all the jokes. And we were, but not because he cheated on his wife, but because of how strongly we reacted. Lets face these facts people, Clinton was impeached and threatened with being kicked out of office for lying to the public about whether or not he had sex with Monica Lewinski. At the time, I was all for it, but looking back now, I don't see how they relate. His cheating and consequently lying to the public is very human and completely understandable in that it is his and Hillary's personal issues. It is not the public's issues. But we make it our issue just to have something to do. So gossip mags can sell and people will tune in to news stations again. Then we get offended because we feel that we shouldn't lie if we were put in the same spot. It really makes no sense. I have to admit that I don't know if Kerry would have been an acceptable reality instead of Bush, but I do know that I am tired and fed up with all of the things occurring in Washington. I never support war since mankind has figured out that it is impossible to really quell a guerilla war without massive firearms, deaths, and many years. Historically, once a country is captured and rebelling, it is a bad idea to remove the empirial country from power resulting in immediate chaos. We'd like to claim that by at least touching these other countries and influencing them in such a manner that it gives them suport to be raised up to a more stable and higher democratic power later. Like India and England, which I admit is not my strong point. Is the rise of India as a national power due to its early influence of England? Or because of the population burgeoning which eventually produced Gandhi and other great national India leaders? I don't know. People like to have very clear and defined things they can point to and say cause and effect. When the truth is that there are usually thousands of causes that produce 1 effect and that the rest aren't seen. Or even better, the cause that they think made the effect is really a front. This is why we use science to try and figure out to the best that we can outside of our conflicting and containing morals how the world works that God gave us. People want to believe that science is evil and don't understand it either because they can't or don't want to try, when the truth could be that by researching science people are discovering God and reveling in his beauty. Nothing is more amazing to me than knowing that everything out there has a function, that millions on billions of things work together to make every day as glorious as the next. I'm not saying that everyone should grab a microscope and set about to work. I'm not even saying you have to believe in science, or God. I just find it ridiculous that people cannot tolerate each other. I struggle with the fact that for a long time I thought all atheists were going to hell, but some of the best people in my life were atheists. Staunch atheists. Since that point in time, I haven't quite cleared up this problem in my own mind, but I've come to the realization that I don't have to. The only thing God wanted from us was to get along and treat each other well. The idea of being the capitol on the hill and a shining light to the world, that requires tolerance and love for all human beings and not persecution and oppression. Homosexuals choose I lifetsyle I don't agree with personally and maybe biologically our body pieces aren't meant to fit that way, but that doesn't mean we have to hate those who are different or even try to force them into bowing to Jesus or Allah or whomever. They are people who have chosen their own path and we should offer them a different one, but if they are not receptive or looking for a different path, then don't force it on them. Be a good person to all those around you and not just the ones like you. Love your enemy. all that. Yes people need things to overcome, but if we set ourselves to overcoming each other then some will win and many will lose. I say this now because as a kid I remember thinking how great the world is and how much I enjoy living in it. As a married adult, the best I can feel is happily complacent and only with my wife. I no loger love the world or the majority of those who live in it because I feel they have the inability to love me and others around me. I am trying to overcome my sadness of these facts, but groups, especially online, who use their time and day to create political hate groups, creating new bad-mouthed stereotypes like conservative and liberal, really accomplish nothing. America is on the verge of war I feel and it is on the verge of war with itself. I fervently wish that we as Americans can stop the bickering and loyalty to an individual party and come together to discuss our problems and possible solutions. This can never be achieved with everyone pointing fingers and disregarding information that is of no use to them, even if it refutes their claims. In my dream, America is whole, happy, and a shining light to the world because it has come together to discuss the issues before it decided to pick candidates for elections. It makes me sad to no end to know that it is now and will always be a dream.

Wannabe

No comments: