Saturday, February 7, 2009

Coraline

'Coraline as hand-made as this review'

I've wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to make myself come back and write on this blog. I waited, and waited, and hoped for an inspirational movie to make me come back and start again. I thought I had it with Revolutionary Road, but I didn't. I had a lot to say, but no real urge to share it with others in writing. At least not until I was moved by the most recent stop-motion masterpiece of Coraline.

I will admit that I love stop-motion. I always have ever since I saw Clash of the Titans and Sinbad. Nightmare Before Christmas was delightful and I never understood why there wasn't more stop-motion films being made. I mean, sure it is difficult. People have to make everything about the set...EVERYTHING. And, you have to take each frame individually for the films which to run smoothly should be about 60 frames per second, although it is usually less. So yea, it takes time. When Aardman Studios started seeing success with Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit I was hoping for a big movement possibly, akin to the comic book to film movement we are currently invested in. However, out came Corpse Bride and Flushed Away and I became afraid that the stop-motion industry had been distorted, married to dead techniques, and then flushed down the toilet as a giant turd. Well, the good news is that the original modern day master Henry Selick is back since The Nightmare Before Christmas and so is stop-motion.

When you see the movie, and you WILL see this movie, you will ponder and think and decide that there is no way that most of this movie is stop motion. There is so much CG that it is obvious that it wasn't that hard. I have read many articles concerning this movie and while there is some CG involved, I would argue that about 90% of it is stop-motion. Seamless, beautiful, hand-made craftmanship, stop-motion genius. All of the characters and almost every single setting is handmade. There are very few moments where you can see that it is stop-motion and not a completely CG movie such a Monster House or Toy Story. The spectacle and beauty of this film is stunning, and even more impressive when you realize how it was made. But enough of that, on to the story.

The original book was written by Neil Gaiman, a man whose movies have been up and down. Although I really liked Mirrormask and the recent CG Beowulf, many do not find the writing of these movies to his liking. Thankfully, other adaptations of his book work has been better received. Stardust was excellent and now Coraline is working quite well. The story is dark, creepy, threatening, and fantastic. When I was little, I was creeped out and enthralled by the dark side of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Coraline has a similar feel to that movie, but darker and creepier. There are very few songs and they don't make the mood easier to handle. Although many will disagree and say this movie is too dark for children, I would say it is perfect for the 7 and up range of students who want to feel something. Who want to be scared and watch horror movies before they should. The movies messages are exquisitely told and portrayed. Easy to understand. And it offers a thrill ride that Disney rarely did offer any child. There is no gore. The only possible downturn is it could be so creepy that some will have nightmares, so please parents, know your child and warn them beforehand. Also, it was significantly dark and creepy and I didn't see it in 3D. I do think the 3D portion might need to best be preserved for those older than 10. I still can't organize my thoughts about how awesome this movie is. You must see it. And I must see it now in 3D.

9.8 out of 10

Wannabe

No comments: