Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Incredible Hulk

'Hulk hulks out'

Okay, so who seriously thought this movie would be good? The first film by Ang Lee, a master of cinema, blew American rejection juice all over everyone's face! So why does anyone want to see this film and why did a movie studio make it? Answer: It stars Edward Norton and Marvel handled it themselves as a new origin movie. Why? because they knew the last one sucketh.

When the trailer for this movie first appeared, I was shocked by the appearance of Edward Norton as the titular hero. "Isn't Norton a good actor?" I kept asking myself. HE usually has a great eye for films, although Down in the Valley is proof that he can slip up at times. Then when I heard that Louis Leterrier, a man known for directing the plot holed Transporter films, was directing this film for a fledgling company owned by Marvel, it translated to little cash and Norton messed up in my head. Well, dammit, Marvel bested me again by making its second movie out almost as amazing as Iron Man.

Seriously, the lighting, plot, acting, and even the smashing is ten times better in this movie. Here's why...they tried to stick to what worked with the old TV show. I have never met a person who has seen that show and not liked it on some level. Which is pretty impressive considering the Hulk is essentially a green Jekyll/Hyde wannabe character. Thankfully, the Hulk in this movie, while a beast, is at least intelligent enough to communicate at times and his humanity is apparent. The idea of Banner being on the run works well and even the creation of the villain is handled superbly. In fact, the biggest issue to this film, is the acting.

William Hurt and Tim Roth have no trouble with their acting, it is actually the two other lead roles by Liv Tyler and Edward Norton that need the help. I know, I said it, Norton needs help. Norton as Banner is able to capture his intelligence and his desire to remain human, but the Norton intensity that brings his characters to life, the same intensity that Crowe had back in Gladiator in his eyes that made us believe, is gone. Where? No idea. Norton is okay as Banner, but I honestly felt that Steve Buscemi with his crazy body type and eyes would have been a better choice, although I wouldn't have been able to believe his ability to get such a hot girlfriend then. (What is up with hot girls in movies? I have always known but now I am just getting sick of it. Each job, factory, hero, there is always an incredibly hot girl that works somewhere waiting to say something to a main character. Even in the more realistic romantic comedies like Knocked Up! Seriously, Hollywood, look, I get tired of waking up each day and thinking a hot girl is around some corner somewhere waiting to say something to me that I will then have to deny. It's not true. And if it is true for you...I hate you.) Speaking of hot girlfriends, Liv Tyler is definitly attractive, but her whispery, teary-eyed acting style does nothing except come across as a pouty daughter. I don't blame Hurt for completely disregarding her feelings and she does not seem like a scientist. More like the cheerleader that grew up. Thankfully Tim Roth and William Hurt can hold this film together as the crazy and mean spirited villains. Them and the Hulk. Man, Tim Roth hasn't been quite this good in years. Speaking of good, I owe an apology to Leterrier. The shots and the composition in this film harkens back to King Kong at times and he keeps the action tight and gritty in a manner that keeps me riveted and longing for adventure. If and when they bring the Hulk back, Leterrier needs to make sure that whatever villain they use is slightly better than Roth which should be a hard order to fill.

4 out of 5

Wannabe

No comments: