Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer List

Man, it has been forever since I have had a chance to post anything. Thankfully, my teaching year is winding down and I am finally getting a chance to come back and spend some time on my loves instead of just trying to survive the first year. And for anyone who thinks first-year teachers don't deserve praise and money...you deserve to be flogged. Anyhow, I have been keeping up with movies this entire long while, I just have not been able to write reviews about them. So here is how I am going to kickoff this summer. Below will be a list of movies I rate as the top best 5 summer movies SO FAR. I'll also include some reasons why. After this list will a new review for Shyamalan's recent debacle, The Happening. And if I can get to it after that, the announcement and postings of a new season of Indie Fanatix League!! Woot Woot! Happy day I'm a loser. :( Oh well.

Anyhow, the top best 5 movies so far this summer(May - Now) are:
5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
"#5? Really?" Yes. Why? Because it blew. However, it is still Indiana Jones and everyone in their right mind will see it and you might want to know what they are talking about. I'm sorry, I'm not sure whose choice it was, Lucas or Spielberg, but the entire premise of the movie is too much science fiction. I know that the old-school adventures are similar and related to the early sci-fi days and they do a decent job of combining them. But Indiana Jones has traditionally focused more on the exotic locations and ideals. As over-the-top as he has been in the past, the world of Indiana Jones is based in a universe we could potentially believe. However, the strain of the collaborating monkeys, the mystical powers of the crystal skull, and the ridiculous ants and random attack scenes for no reason break the ability to believe and follow along with the movie. Especially the damn atomic bomb scene. The decision to rely on CGI and special effects at all instead of just doing everything without it really helps to destroy this movie. Besides the water cooler conversation you will get out of this movie, you should also come out enjoying and knowing about Shia's take on Indy's son if the rumors are to be true that he will continue the franchise. You might want to know a little about his intro to the series and his origins. I will say this, he is the most refreshing part of the movie to me...but the chip on his shoulder is a bit too large.

4. Speed Racer
Yes, Speed Racer is ahead of Indiana Jones. Unlike Indy, which tries to promise a certain experience and fails, Speed Racer seems very bleh to begin with for the older generation and manages to deliver an okay and thrilling experience. The CGI alone in this film is a great reason to watch it as the Wachowskis have advanced technology for films into the future once again. It is the first and only time a movie has been made in which I feel it is a true live action cartoon. Somehow, all the people are animated...I swear. I doubt anyone will love it, but the car scenes are pretty sweet and you will probably leave thinking, eh. Which is better than what you would thought you would leave with.

3. Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
I read this series a long time ago and I was impressed with the dedication to the story and theology shown in the first film. But man, I don't remember Narnia being this dark. This is certainly a movie that rests on its human actors to uphold the movie...human actors that are not that old. So they uphold it only so so, but better than they did in the first film. Also, the fight scenes and the decisions made in the battle are pretty cool. I must say that the bad guy and the dwarf are AMAZING. Peter Dinklage has finally earned my approval. However, the conclusion to the film is slightly...friggin Deus Ex Machina. I hate that device. But other than that, it is a good dark ride that brings up a lot of questions about the presence of God and how it could work in our world.

2. Kung Fu Panda
Friggin Jack Black. One of my least favorite stars and yet he managed to put out one of the best CG movies I've ever seen. This movie is fun, smart, well directed and written. The jokes are good and it is full of Kung Fu references. Although, some casting choices were really weird, this made me laugh for hours. Great quotable movie, plus everyone can see it. So go do it!

1. Iron Man
Yea, if you haven't heard, this is good. Damn good. I never liked Iron Man, but with Robert Downey in the part, this movie came together and now I do. Possibly the best comic book movie ever made. Definitely entertaining. I don't know a single person who dislikes this film. See it and you won't regret it. Now to see if Marvel can uphold the quality with Hulk.

Unfortunately, some films I would like to recommend but that came out before May began are Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Forbidden Kingdom. Sarah Marshall is HILARIOUS! Whereas Forbidden Kingdom has the epic battle between Jet Li and Jackie Chan and feels slightly like a modern day Karate Kid. Whoever the bad kid is though has a future ahead of him. That was some crazy intensity.

Wannabe

No comments: