Monday, June 18, 2007

Night At The Museum

'Dammit'

Alright, here's the deal with the subtitle. I wanted to hate this movie. I really did. I dislike Ben Stiller's normal acting style and then when you put him and Owen Wilson together you usually get the biggest pile of cheesy schlock imaginable. If you love Zoolander then do me a favor and never breathe again. However, as much as I didn't want to see it, I have been pleasantly surprised in the past by these two. Starsky & Hutch and Meet the Parents were good movies. I even liked the two Wilson and Jackie Chan movies and The Wedding Crashers. Somehow, despite their mediocre talents in these films the directing and story encompasses them into it and they aren't as painful to watch. So, when everyone around the world watched this movie and several people told me it was a good one, I doubted and hopped back and forth on my feet until my wife had to watch something "brainless" as she calls it. And unfortunately, everyone was right. It's a good movie...now Stiller, go use your acting talents again in something uncomedic please?

Night At The Museum is an excellent movie and its premise isn't entirely new...I just don't think I've ever seen it done in this way. Usually these type of films where the location comes to life is more often than not a horror film. In this case, its been turned into a family comedy. Sure there are a few bad words here or there, but they are few and far between and won't be noticed. The best part about the film is the characterization. With such a wide array of characters to choose from, Shawn Levy does a great job of knowing how and when to use CG. The T-rex is a great one as is the slapping Capuchin monkey. Hah! I looked it up! Not only is the CG done well, but the casting is phenomenal. Steve Coogan as the Roman General figurine Octavius and Owen Wilson as the cowboy figurine Jedidiah are hilarious. Yes, yes, I said it...hilarious...I give all the credit to Coogan. Then Robin Williams does an excellent impression of Teddy Roosevelt. Ricky Gervais from the original British The Office and Extras is funny funny as the museum curator. Plus, the movie has Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, and Bill Cobbs!!! What else could you ask for? I won't give away the plot or anything because I do believe people should see it, especially families, but I will say this. The only bit of casting that doesn't seem to fit is the casting of Ahkmenrah. He's too...underwhelming? He's not quite the character you would expect of a ridiculously old mummy. The plot stinks by the way. I mean, it works okay but it follows the same tradition of old school family movies where the ending doesn't really make sense but you don't really think about it or care at the time. It drives me crazy but it's not unheard of.

The nice part about the film is that it seems to symbolize a changing of the guard. It's no coincidence that the outgoing watchguards are old famous television comediens who had their own following and were considered the funnymen of their day and that the rest of the cast is filled out with comedians. I don't know if Ben Stiller is really the guy who will carry on the tradition of guarding the greats like Robin Williams, but the original idea is nice. Which is why the plot twist is kind of annoying to me but its fun. I could definately see Gervais as the curator of such a place though. Damn that man is funny.

Conclusion:
The movie is very family friendly, with a simple story and good guys and bad guys and great lessons through out and full of laughs. A symbolic changing of the comedic guard and some great performances from some of today's leading comedians. Shawn Levy has created a brilliant film and I look forward to his next directorial effort. Stiller proves he knows how to be funny. Cinematography and lighting are excellent with lots of shadows when needed. Now, someone just needs to write this review on the subway wall in ancient caveman paintings and maybe people will see it.

4.6 out of 5

Wannabe

No comments: