Monday, June 4, 2007

Rightsizing

The last few weeks have been dreadful. Every time he looked in the paper he noticed that his ranking was lower each week and that the predictions were becoming more dire. He believed in sticking to his guns and following the lead of the president when times got tough, but then he saw it. The most recent article. Kevin Reilly fired from NBC to be replaced by Ben Silverman. He read it again to make sure. After all, this was THE Kevin Reilly. The man who championed critical sleeper hits like 30 Rock and Friday Night Lights and kept them around for another season despite bad statistics. The same man who helped start such quality shows on NBC such as Heroes. The #1 guy in charge of programming who successfully brought class to the big peacock was fired for under performing and was being replaced by the guy known for translating overseas hits into American ones. Why? Sure, Reilly had a number of expensive high quality shows that had to be canceled due to nobody watching..but why Reilly?...
As he pondered, Wannabe quickly lit a crack pipe and pondered his opiousness in a fun-filled haze. Only after realizing that his hand wasn't really that delicious a gyro, he had a revelation. 12 slaps and 3 coffee pots later, he was on the phone calling Headquarters. "Hello?"
"Yes?"
"Hello?"
"Yes si..."
"Dammit man speak up and stop the ch-ch-chimp imp-p-pr-pression."
"YES SIR!"
"That's more like it! Now do a little dance with your phone and sing to it before telling that fat smorgasbord Danion that he is fired! And if he ever shows his face around my office again, I'll eat him! With ketchup!"
"YES SIR" *click*
The next call was slightly more coherent as the effects were wearing off as was his energy in a rapid progression. "Hello, Yea, hello? *yawn* IS someone there?"
"Yes, I'm here. Who the hell is this and why are you calling so friggin late? It's 2AM buddy now leave me alone."
"Huh? Oh, Junders, this is the president of uh...chimaera productions. You know, in H-wood."
"Oh, wow, yea hey. What, uh, what seems to be the problem? Anything I can do? Just uh, let me get out of the room here...YEa, I'm sorry about that earlier. Just caught me napping thats all."
"What thing earlier?"
"...Nothing."
"Oh...anyhow, I just fired Danion as my film purchase manager and I have a need. I would like to offer you the opinion, I mean position based on your previous produced films. But first I need you to tell me how you plan to fix my currently drowning slate."
"Easy, I mean I think Danion did a good job on choosing independent hard films that America needs to see but...well, you run a very old commercial institution. Therefore I'd drop Ghosts of Cite Soleil, The Method, and even A Mighty Heart."
"But that has Angelina Jolie!"
"YEa, but have you seen her skinnyness recently? It's not good. And then I'd replace them with the sure to be hits I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Sicko, and I think the small indy film Fido can take off provided the right coverage and critical praise. It has a great Shaun of the Dead feel which is more popular these days with things like the Hot Fuzz guys. Anyhow, that's what I'd do."
"Hmm, interesting. Alright fine, but you're late for work. So double time it mister. I have money to make and tickets to sell. "
"Oh, uhh, okay sir. Let me just tell my wife..."
"NO TIME! Now get out that door right now and be down at the office in 15 or forget that 150,000$ job along with your career!"
"I'm going, I'm going!" *click*
A smile of joy passed over Wannabe's face right before his head hit the table from standing too quickly and he revisited the wonderful land of handwiches. Peace to you all and just to let you get a glimpse as to how this affects things...read and weep.
OVERALL
GoS 10
WILLO 10
CASTLE 11
WANNABE 10

Yes...yes...now take that with some dijon mustard!!!

No comments: